Monday 1 June 2015

FREEDOM caged

Although not part of my general concept to do with censorship and free speech, this is my interpretation on animal freedom and rights. It is meant to represent a chimpanzee in a cage where it has lived all its life, dreaming about what it thinks the outside world might look like. It is meant to show emotions of pity and sadness towards the chimp and has visuals of hope and hopelessness conflicting. I think I have portrayed boredom and longing in the chimp's face as intended. The cage bars are not detailed to help draw attention to the chimp. 2B Pencil was the main media used and helps establish the detail very well. This is contrasted with scribbles of crayon, coloured pencil and oil pastel to make an imagined scenery of foliage by the chimp, The chimp is copied from a number of photographs of real chimps in different positions. I felt that no single image I found was good enough to copy that showed it in a sad state so I took elements from a couple. The general message of this sheet is that freedom applies to every living thing; how is it fair to discriminate or place statuses on different species because as humans we are more advanced than them? Why do we deserve freedom but other creatures of the earth do not?

No comments:

Post a Comment