Monday 18 May 2015

FREEDOM evaluation


FMP Evaluation

 

In this project I was tasked with creating something that was my interpretation of the word FREEDOM. Overall I feel that I have succeeded in making its context relevant and is generally up to the best standard I can work in. I am quite proud of how it has turned out upon completion and believe some of it to be some of the best drawings I have done. I based all the work I have done on the concept of CENSORSHIP AND FREEDOM OF SPEECH; although there are some examples where I have strayed onto the big idea of freedom: drawing American Indian symbols, logos for freedom organisations, animal captivity, etc. I think in hindsight, I have, in some cases, leaned towards the idea of being trapped in society (I don’t know the term for that) as evidenced in the “subliminal” A2 sheet and 4 small pages that show a man tied up with responsibilities (metaphor). It works I think and helps enforce the different ideas in the whole FMP.

Things I have researched are to do with how censorship is seen by certain people. I researched some musicians’ opinions on censorship and how it has often affected the right to express and the freedom of expression. I found out more about how music has been under censorship’s shadow and how it has hurt it. I looked at some drawings by Frank Miller and his thoughts on censorship. I also researched quotes that refer to censorship including one by Mark Twain of which I included on one of my pages. Pinterest was a good tool for finding images that inspired me.

The 63 10cm x 10cm pieces of assorted card and paper I have made can fit together well; I feel that the context is evidenced crystal clear. Although slightly uneven in what I have drawn and rushed in areas, I feel that my message is obvious and they portray how I feel about freedom/censorship. The media I have used could have had a wider range; I stuck to what I work best with: pencil, brush pen, biro, acrylic paint, coloured pen /pencils. I have tried to make each page significant and different to the others in colour, style, etc. The annotation is on my blog and I think is adequate in detailed analysis of each page.

The A2 sheets I created to back up my pages are the best examples of the FMP in my opinion. I have demonstrated excellent realistic drawing ability with pencil as shown in the Native American, chimp and final piece. I have also proved I can draw scenery good on my sheet labelled “subliminal” The first sheet I drew was the basis for how my project was headed and the most important. I copied an image by Frank Miller of which is a metaphor for censorship; showing a girl having plasters placed on her eyes, mouth, nose, etc. I have based my final piece on this and the metaphor has carried on to other sheets. I feel that I could have used more varied media, but I don’t regret sticking to media I am most comfortable with using, if I didn’t they may have turned out different. My favourites are the Indian and Chimp because I feel I captured the mood better than more or less any other sheet.

I decided that my final piece would definitely be a metaphor for censorship. I decided to base the concept on the image by Frank Miller, one I have already researched and attempted myself, due to it being very effective and dark. I was not sure whether it was going to be drawn or sculpted so I took pictures of myself with plasters on my eyes, mouth and ears. After seeing how it turned out, I decided that it would be good to do both. Sculpted, it looks realistic and smooth with the real plasters adding a dark aura around it. Drawn (in pencil) it looks gritty and moody with the real tape across the eyes adding depth to the picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment