Tuesday 24 March 2015

Experimental Portrait Project Evaluation

I decided to produce a portrait of one of my peers (Kieron Pickering) for this project because I found it more productive to take photos as well as being more challenging.
I looked at the artists, Francis Bacon, Pablo Picasso and Magi Hambling. Francis Bacon has always appealed to me, being one of my favourite artists due to his dark and twisted style, so he was an easy choice when deciding on three artists to study. I have always known about Pablo Picasso and his cubism style, so I chose him to help add variety with my choice. I chose Maggi Hambling because her sketching style is similar to mine and appealed to me.
The media I used was very varied, for the two mood boards on Kieron and the artists sheet, I used brush pens, oil pastels, biro, pencil, sgraffitto, charcoal and chalk. For the final piece I used collage and ink on the background also.
I feel that my mood boards turned out fine in general; with the exception of one (one of the two on Kieron) of which looks rushed in places. However, the medias I have chosen work well together.
My final piece is comprised of pencil, acrylic paint and collaged images over ink background. I think it is effective because it mixes both detailed sketching of the head and the roughly painted shirt very well. The collaged images ( of what Kieron is interested in ) and small photos of him help give the background more depth, crowding it and making it seem less desolate.
I feel I have improved my experimental drawing skills because I have tried lots of different techniques drawing pictures of the same thing. 
I think that although I was behind by the end, I didn’t manage my time as poorly as other projects. It was referred with one mood board and the background of my final piece to be completed.
Within the time frame I could have produced better work although I am satisfied with what I have done.
 The project has helped me I think with using different media in my work, as well as improve my skills of drawing faces.

No comments:

Post a Comment